Moving saws. They now follow neighboring indestructible tiles like a track, then reverse course. This is very visible in level 3, where they’re a main obstacle:
Level 3! With this level I’ve tried segmenting the screen vertically into thirds using the indestructible tiles. The idea is to promote different fighting styles from the first level (mostly jumping around small platforms, with small encounters all over, but fighting localized in center bottom of the level) and the second level (segmented horizontally into an upper area and lower area, with fighting quite localized to each area as well). I’ve noticed during playtests that players don’t usually destroy tiles that much – they’re more busy shooting at each other and evading shots – so it’s OK to leave destructible tiles liberally between the indestructible ones. However, with the presence of those platforms in the middle of the level, players tend to play in the top half of the screen. I might try a sort of tunneling spawn in order to get players to the lower half of the screen. So still experimenting with level 3.
Different avatar silhouettes. THE MISSION can be difficult to “read”, due to the monochromatic aesthetic. I asked a colorblind colleague how I could improve the readability of the game, and he suggested giving the avatars details to help distinguish them. Here is what I came up with. I would like to stick to the humanoid body template, but if it isn’t enough, then I will explore others. I like that one that looks like a shark :)
Sound and music issues. I dedicated most of the weekend to fixing both sounds and music. Currently, neither is working well. The sound effects are delayed by maybe 250 milliseconds, which is significant. I’ve tried all sorts of solutions, but have gotten nowhere. Music is also being difficult, with seamless looping not working. I’ve triple-checked the file, and it should loop seamlessly properly. I have tried several different implementations for looping music, so I don’t know what the problem is. But I will figure it out!
I’m back from vacation! My wife and I actually went on our honeymoon road trip in the US, which was really great and relaxing. We came back late on Monday, were jet lagged Tuesday, and then returned to work the rest of the week. So this update will cover the past two weeks:
- Implemented the level select screen! This took a bit more time than I thought because I had to refactor some code. Basically I made a LevelDataManager, which is responsible for loading all of the level data at game start, holding on to that data, and passing it to the different LevelManagers which then build the level itself. But enough technical stuff, see the screenshot below!
- Also implemented invincibility after respawning. Since players are always dropped in from the top of level, and they are indicated by a flash of their number, they are easy targets for savvy/ignoble players. Hence a window of invincibility, so they can’t be sucker shot after respawning.
I’ve been neglecting screenshots… Here are some from the past couple of builds!
The revamped planet surface, and the terrarium:
Some updates! Three screenshots from the forest area:
This is what I’ve been working on recently, along with another smaller area type which serves as a connection between two different areas. Screenshot of that to come soon.
Other new stuff: simple parallax scrolling, and a camera which doesn’t go past the edges of the level (although it doesn’t look like it in the forest screenshots, that’s a parallax background issue).
Here we go! Making a site for my pet project, so my hordes of fans can follow its development. I will try to update at least once a week with a new build, and some screenshots and music.
EDIT: Under the new structure, I’m dumping the first batch of screenshots here: